Saturday 18 February 2012

spot the dot

Yesterday I had the pleasure of going to the 'Yayoi Kusama' exhibition that's currently on at the Tate Modern. For those of you hadn't heard of her before (I hadn't either!), she's one of Japan's best-known living artists. Now in her 80s, Kusama has worked obsessively for nearly 70 years, developing an extensive body of work including painting, sculpture, drawing, collage and installations. There are several recurring themes in her work, most memorable (for me at least) is her tendency to cover everything in spots!

It was incredibly busy at the exhibition due to half term, but I guess that just goes to prove how popular an exhibition it is for children too. The real highlights were two installation rooms, one where everyday objects are covered in glow-in-the-dark spots, and another with mirrored walls and little coloured balls of light that reflect everywhere. They're both a bit crazy but incredibly beautiful, much like the artist herself!

I think I'm still very much seeing spots, because I suddenly realised all of the lovely spotty dotty things we have on sale in the shop and online at the moment.


Whether it's a lovely My Happy Accident toy or dress (all of the Happy Accident and Minimod dresses are reversible, many with a spotty lining!), an organic cotton Fozia baby grow or some wild giraffe print tights, there are spots to cater for any taste!

So why not put on your best spotty outfit and head down to the exhibition, we're sure you'll be dotty about it!


1 comment:

  1. I love all the neat things you have on your blog. I hope you will visit and join my blog at www.sewcraftykathy.blogspot.com thanks

    ReplyDelete